Ahh. I can’t believe it. My baby has been in the “real” world longer than I grew him in my belly. Today he’s 9 months old and it feels like a big milestone. Well all of his monthly birthdays are “milestones” but this one feels extra special. For 9 months I’ve watched him grow and learn so much. He’s gone from a blob that poops, eats, sleeps and cries (is there a better way to describe a newborn?) to this awesome baby that loves tickles, walks, Crosby and bath time.
And I’ve changed too. I’ve gone from a blob that poops, eats…..just kidding. I’ve gone from sleeping in to early mornings every morning. From loving alone time to never being alone. From knitting all day to knitting a few hours a day – if I’m not too tired. From not being bothered by a mess to always feeling the need to clean. From not being a mother to being a mom. And I love it. Well, not every moment of it. But the good days outweigh the bad days and I find myself loving him more and more each day.
James at 9 Months Old
- He loves the water. The pool, the bath (and soon the lake), you name it and he loves it. If he could, he’d stay in the bath until he was a prune from head to toe. We would have never figured this out had we not done swimming lessons. Best decision ever.
- He standing on his own. Does holding onto the couch count as on his own? Probably not but I’ll take it. He also shuffles from one end of the couch to the other. I’d love to say it’s because he wants to learn to walk but in all honesty he’s trying to get the dog.
- Speaking of Crosby, James just adores him. He wants nothing more than to play with him – which entails pulling on his tail, pinching him and trying to grab his tongue. Teaching a 9 month to be gentle feels impossible, but we will get there. And Crosby, well for the most part he just wants to be left alone. I’ve watched them go in circles around one of our armchairs as James tries to “catch” Crosby. And every so often I’ll get the look from the dog like “why aren’t you helping me?”
- He still eats and sleeps like a champ. He sleeps between 10-12 hours a night and 2 naps throughout the day. I love it and don’t ever want it to change. As for the food, James loves to eat – anything and everything. We had a hard time with pureed peas and avocados but give them to him in chunks and he can’t get enough. He especially loves chicken and spaghetti.
- He loves watching cars go by and going for his daily walk. The walks are really for the dog. He deserves them for putting up with James.
- He went on his first swing a few days ago. Unsure of it at first, but like everything else he loved it in the end. I’ve yet to find something this kid doesn’t like. Wait….he doesn’t like tin foil. As soon as you pull it out the box he cries. We’ve become a family who can use tin foil silently. Hahaha. Anyways about the swing, he loves it. We didn’t get a chance to play that long. Crosby was crying the whole time. As if he knew we were interrupting his precious walk so that James could play for a minute. How dare we!
So at 9 months old he’s a pretty active baby. Always needs to be on the go and keeping me on my toes. He finds – almost daily – new things that I have to baby proof. Like a fan. Who knew that this kid was going to like shoving his fingers in a fan thats turned on – I sure didn’t see that coming.
I can’t wait to see what next month bring us.
On a side note, I’d like to say Happy Father’s Day to my awesome Dad and Father in Law. Keith and I wouldn’t be the parents we are today without your love and support. We love you!
And to my wonderful husband Happy 1st Father’s Day! I love you so much and could imagine doing this parenting gig without you. You do so much for James and Crosby (and me) and we can’t thank you enough. Enjoy this day and I’m looking forward to spending a lifetime more with you 🙂 xoxoxo